Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Edmund Fitzgerald.

This was written during my 10th grade Academic English class. The assignment was to write as if we were a crewman aboard the Edmond Fitzgerald; a American Great Lakes freighter which sunk in Canadian waters in November 10th 1975 without sending out a distress signal. I didn't think it that well written, but my Teacher cried in the middle of class when I read it aloud.



As the ship begins to sink into the depths of the place I love the most my heart accelerates ever so slightly. The water is icy, and I cannot do a thing. If I were to go over board I would be swallowed by her waves although if I stay I am doomed to swallow her wintry water, either way...I am to be no more. I think of my family, my only love, my home, and wish that I was able to declare “I Love You”, and beg them not to weep. However, I am only able to pray for mine and my crew mates souls- lost at sea. Will they remember us years from now? Will a tear be shed for our souls later on in life? All I am able to do now is embrace my crew members one final time as become submerged; the water engulfing us in her treacherous advance. There is only a cacophony of hallow waves, and I observe while my crew mates and I witness our final destination as we are welcomed by the chilling water; our final resting place. I contemplate one final prayer before blackness over comes me forever more, as my lungs fill with  icy death I loved so much before.

No comments:

Post a Comment